Jul 16, 2010

Bright Lights Will Inspire You



We've arrived at another Friday and as I've got my sights firmly on New York, it's only fitting that this week's Top 5 should be themed accordingly.

This morning a fellow Aussie came to the rescue and agreed to sub-let her SOHO apartment for a month. Now I have a place to sleep, I just need to find myself a job! I'm a little nervous but I just have to think of all my favourite Manhattan haunts and it brings a smile to my face and fills me with confidence. I think I was always destined to live in that city, my husband even wrote his marriage proposal in a book about New York!

Ms M's Top 5 - New York Edition

1. Bleecker St: What's not to like? A gorgeous streetscape in the heart of The Village, cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery, the incredibly diverse selection of music at Bleecker Street Records, coupled with the retro cool of Jack Spade and inexpensive trinkets at the Marc by Marc Jacobs' accessories store.
2. Public, Nolita: The BEST Bloody Mary cocktails EVER. I've never liked tomato juice, but after sampling perfection in a glass there was no turning back. This ultra hip restaurant also serves up some of the best fare Australia and New Zealand has to offer.
3. Flea markets: After living in a city where you were confined indoors 88% of the time because of the soaring 50-degree temperatures, wandering in any type of open air market is always a novelty. I love that you can turn any street corner and stumble into something new and unexpected.
4. The Metropolitan Opera: Give me La Boheme over Cats any day. I recently read in Vanity Fair that this cultural institution is in financial strife, so go buy a ticket and support the arts.
5. Time Square: I know it's a bit of a cliche, but this is the landmark that's most quintessentially New York for me. Yellow taxi cabs, crowds, noise, billboards - it completely encapsulates Manhattan's unique energy.

It will be interesting to see how this list changes in the next four weeks... if you have your own New York Top 5 don't be afraid to share!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails