Jul 13, 2010

An Ode to Bill



For the past four years, I've called myself an expatriate. While I largely enjoy the chance to explore new cultures and step outside my comfort zone, living away from home (particularly when that home is in another hemisphere) is guaranteed to bring bouts of homesickness.


One of my quick-fire cures is to whip up a recipe by Aussie celebrity chef Bill Granger. It's not really just about his simple, fresh food that makes me long for home, but the photos that populate his cookbooks  perfectly capture the laid-back spirit that tends to be the signature of Australian life. After flicking through one of Bill's many books (he's a prolific writer as well as restauranteur) I can almost taste the saltwater after an idyllic sun-drenched day spent at Henley Beach.




One recipe I always keep ingredients on stand-by for is Bill's banana and chocolate chip bread - below is the fresh loaf I baked last night. Not only is it utterly moorish and easy to make, it's a great way to get rid of over-ripe bananas which I keep ready in the freezer until needed.




What you need; 2 cups of plain flour, two tspns of baking powder, two ripe bananas, a few drops of vanilla extract, two eggs (lightly beaten), 4ozs of melted butter, 1 cup of chocolate chips.
What you do; preheat over to 350F/180˚C, sift flour and baking powder together. Mix together all remaining ingredients in a separate bowl before combining with the flour. Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Eat and Enjoy!



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails